Monday 28 April 2014

Le Sacre Coeur

My boyfriend's office is based in hip and homely Islington, where restaurants and pubs are never in short supply. From standard larger chains to the smaller, lesser known independent companies, Angel covers it all. A short walk from the tube station down a side street sits  Le Sacre Coeur, a cosy traditional French bistro hidden away from the bustling foot traffic of Upper Street. Nat's colleague had suggested La Sacre Coeur to him, and as we have a long weekend in Paris coming up in June, I was very keen to dine there to inspire me. While still at work, Nat and I scanned at their online menu and were both instantly struck with a dilemma that would plague us during the next few hours: how could we possibly decide on what to order when there were so many dishes we wanted to get?? Should I get the chicken or the duck? Should he get the rabbit, beef, steak, pork or duck? or We were torn.
 
After a lengthy deliberation, we finally made our decisions. I, rather predicatably, went for the confit duck, while Nat opted for the rabbit casserole. For starters I ordered shrimp, as I usually adore shrimp cooked in garlic and butter so I figured I couldn't go wrong. Unfortunately, I wasn't terribly crazy with the shrimp that Le Sacre Coeur had to offer as it was too "meaty" for me, and I couldn't figure out if it was just the texture or the taste. As I have previously been a vegetarian for over 10 years, this may have been why I was a bit thrown. I'm also not the hugest fan of rocket, but I can't fault a restaurant for my fussy palate!

The confit duck was rich, succulent and flavourful. It was served on a creamy bed of spinach with a mound of crispy sauteed potatoes to soak up the pool of port and blackcurrant sauce. Nat's large steaming bowl of rabbit stew was served with a side of creamy mashed potatoes. I sampled some of his rabbit and couldn't help but picture cute little bunnies bounding through the fields. Nat, who unlike me isn't fazed at the concept of eating cute animals, was very impressed with his stew and I was more than pleased with my duck, dreamy smiles plastered upon our faces and we slurped our way through our sauces. We ate well past the limits of being full, if only to keep the good tastes lingering in our mouths.

We left the restaurant both full and content, more than satisfied we had made the right choices with our meals. Le Sacre Couer boasts a traditional French menu at modest prices, and accepts the Tastecard which makes it even friendlier to those on a budget. Vegetarian options are also available on the menu, for those that opt for a meat-free diet.  






Parfait de foie de Canard
Smooth duck liver pate. Served with jam and toasted walnut bread
Crevettes à l’ail
Pan fried vodka & chilli marinated king prawns with garlic, olive oil, & lemon juice served on a bed of rocket salad 
Civet de Lapin à la Française
Rabbit casserole with tarragon, mushroom, carrot, onion and Dijon mustard sauce. Served with potato purée
Confit de Canard
Pan fried confit duck leg on a bed of sauté spinach. Served with port & blackcurrant sauce and sautéed potatoes
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment