Thursday 24 April 2014

Cider Love

I must say, I am extremely fortunate to work with a great team of people who appreciate, and are well-versed in good food and good drink. I am even more fortunate to work a stone's throw away (well, a mighty generous throw) from Borough Market, the vibrant and bustling food market located at London Bridge that has sold a variety of fruit, vegetables, baked goods and meat since as far back as 1755, making it London's oldest fruit & veg market. Each Friday around noon, we head down to the market, where we split up and follow our stomachs before meeting up at our favourite cider stall for a cheeky pint. I am usually the last to rejoin the group, as the vast number of stalls offer an endless range of hot or cold meals, leaving me overwhelmed by choice. I stare at fellow market-goers for inspiration who clutch their prized selections in their hands as they push their way through the crowds, and as I weave my way through the stalls I am forever getting wafts of teasingly good smells which renders me indecisive. I have a certain weakness for confit duck, and despite my efforts to try something new each time I visit, I spot the stall selling duck confit rolls, I succumb, and with ginormous roll in hand, I join my fellow colleages at the the cider stall.

 
It comes to no surprise to those that know me that I have a sweet tooth (no morning is complete without a caramel soy latte with two extra sugars!). At the New Forest Cider stall at Borough Market, they offer a range of unpasteurised, traditional cider straight from the barrels in a selection of dry, medium and sweet. I have tried their 'sweet' cider and to be honest, it wasn't quite sweet enough for me. But maybe my palate has grown accustomed to all those overly sweet flavoured ciders that are all the rage nowadays. New Forest also offers Kingston Black and Perry, as well as a selection of bottled ciders including my personal favourite: Thistly Cross Cider. Here you can choose from Original, Root Ginger or Elderflower flavoured, or 'Whisky Cask' cider which has been matured in single malt casks. I am absolutely obsessed with their Elderflower Cider and no Friday afternoon is complete without one. It is sweet, fruity, and refreshing which is perfect for the upcoming Summer months.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment