Tuesday 22 April 2014

DIY Easter

Last week, my best friend Anton and I were lucky enough to go to a Chocolate Festival in Angel, North London. Inspired by the numerous samples we were given, I couldn't help but think "I could try doing that," or even, "I could do that better!" Err, I'm aware how incredibly arrogant that sounds, but I mean really, in one of the stalls, my gaze fell upon what appeared to be a hardened blob of melted chocolate with a handful of hazelnuts sprinkled on top. Despite that, Anton and I were full of awe, wandering around the hall with immense food envy, stuffing our cheeks with samples and pointing out all the impressive displays, wondering which stall to look at next. 




This Easter, I thought I would try my hand at making Hot Cross Bun inspired chocolates and (Anton and I both being lactose intolerant) vegan Irish Cream. The chocolates soft, spicy and sweet: filled with a mixture of creamy Speculoos spread, butter, spiced sugar, mixed spice, finely chopped raisins and icing sugar. The Irish Cream was a smooth blend of light coconut milk, soy cream, soy milk powder, sugar, espresso, liquid chocolate and of course, Irish whiskey.
 
Vegan Irish Cream
 
1 can light coconut milk
1 pottle soy cream (I used Alpro)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 Tbsp soy milk powder
1 shot espresso, cooled
1 glass of Jamiesons Irish Whisky
 
In a large bowl mix coconut milk, soy cream and sugar until sugar crystals have dissolved.
 
In a small mug, add soy milk powder and enough hot water to blend without any lumps remaining. Add to the coconut milk mixture.
 
Add espresso, liquid chocolate and mix until chocolate is fully incorporated.
 
Finally, add the whisky. I added about a glassful, but to be honest I wasn't strict with measurements. I finished what was left in my bottle with my typical "shame to waste!" mentality.
 
 
Hot Cross Chocolate Cups
Makes 50 small cups
 
400g milk cooking chocolate
100g white cooking chocolate
50g butter, at room temperature
Spiced sugar (if unavailable, use granulated and add extra mixed spice)
1Tbsp mixed spice
2Tbsp smooth Speculoos spread
100g raisins, finely chopped
Icing sugar
 
For the Filling
In a small bowl, cream together the butter and enough spiced sugar until smooth.
 
Add the Speculoos paste, mixed spice and mix well. Fold in the chopped raisins.
 
Add enough icing sugar to form the mixture into a dough-like consistency.
 
Take teaspoon sized amounts of the mixture and roll into small balls. Repeat until mixture is finished. You should be about to make about 50 balls of filling.
 
For the Chocolate
Place 50 mini cupcake cases onto a baking tray.
 
Melt the milk chocolate and pour a teaspoon in each  case. Place a ball of filling onto each blob of chocolate.
 
Pour the remaining melted chocolate into each cup and leave to set. Do not place in the fridge!
 
Once the chocolate is firm (a little tacky is okay), melt the white chocolate.
 
Fill a small piping bag with the melted chocolate and snip off the end to form a small opening.
 
Pipe crosses onto the chocolates and leave to fully set.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment